ASIST (Applied Intervention Skills Training)
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training is a two day interactive Living Works workshop that prepares caregivers to provide suicide first aid interventions. Small group discussions and skills practice are based on adult learning principles. ASIST teaches the Pathways for Assisting Life Model a practical guide to doing suicide interventions. Powerful video support learning.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be better able to:
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide
- Understand how beliefs and attitudes can affect suicide interventions
- Seek a shared understanding of the reasons for suicide
- Support the individual to turn towards the option of safety for now
- Work to collaboratively build a safety framework for the person at risk
- Link people with community resources.
Who Can Attend
- Persons concerned about family or friends.
- Emergency service workers.
- Counsellors, teachers and ministers.
- Mental health professionals.
- Workers in health, welfare or justice.
- Community volunteers